RECIPES

Sunday 26 February 2023

Little Miracles

 

When something has been lost for a long time and then is discovered again, I always feel like a Little Miracle has occurred.

Only a Little Miracle because it has little or no importance to anyone else but the person involved.

Many years ago, I remember my widowed mother being devastated when she mislaid her wedding ring.  It was over two years before it was found tucked into a crevice in the floor of the pantry.  Who knows how it got there, but she was delighted to have it back again.

Several weeks ago, Son lost a prized dress ring and all searches proved fruitless.  Yesterday, he went to pick up a bag of potting mix and there was the ring sitting nestled into a fold of the plastic bag.  To say he was happy is an understatement!




This last week I have had my own Little Miracle happen.  Around forty years ago, one of my brothers (now deceased) gave me a pretty china lady. 

Nothing incredible in itself, but something I really loved.  Then, about fifteen years ago, she disappeared – presumably I had disposed of her during the muddle of down-sizing to live in a caravan.

But I missed her, and after my brother died I missed her even more.

As they say, it is no good crying over spilt milk and my life moved on without my lady.  So, imagine my surprise and elation when Son unearthed her from an old box stashed in the back of his garage. 

The box contained a few cooking utensils, a couple of books, and some table placemats – as well as a large nest of ants!

A good wash in soapy hot water and my lady is as good as new.  I am so thrilled to have her back 😊

Margaret.

 

20 comments:

  1. Those are great stories of found long lost items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she was waiting for the right time. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. Love your vase of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing!! I'm glad your son found his ring and you found the china lady that has been missing for many years. GM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Happy for you and the pretty lady being rediscovered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted for you - what a joy to have your beautifully back, with its special memories. And your son is fortunate to get that ring back - it so easily could have been wrapped up and put in the bin once the potting mix was used - or mulched into the garden. Two little miracles, indeed.

    We haven't had any little miracles recently, but a prolonged 'found in unexpected places' game - one nearly 5 year old granddaughter "rearranged" all the framed photos and family treasures from he antique table at the top of the stairs, and for at least two weeks we discovered things in unexpected places. eg, a photo of her father as a young boy on the floor next to grandad's bedside table. Why there? No idea! The contents of my earring container, emptied and sorted into pairs, in a neat row on the edge of the dressing table. Kids are fun - and she'll grow up all too fast!! Have a happy weekend and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is a wee miracle when these things turn up again, in their own time.
    Now you can enjoy her even more

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost a watch years ago, and found it again in a pocket of a jacket I was taking to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I am sure she is happy to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story! We have not been in our house but a few years but give us some time and I am sure we'll be making discoveries of our own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is great to find things that have been lost! So nice for you to find the china lady with the memories she brings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I do like little miracles, I know what you mean, so nice having those memories back

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so interesting, the little treasures that matter to us. Good that you found yours again after so long xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little miracles are wonderful, so glad you got your lady back;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a HAPPY post!!!!
    I once "lost" my wedding ring, too. It is very special, titanium from Western Australia. We both got them in the men´s section as in your place it seems not to be normal that husband and wife wear "the same" ring.
    If I had to wait two years....

    My Brother (goldsmith) created a mini Southern Cross for me. It flew away in the polishing process and is "somewhere" in the cellar. Mum, he and I were on our knees... it was never found.

    Sad your Brother is gone. It must hurt a lot.
    Glad your Son found this lady!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Margaret, You fired my imagination about the conversations you could have with your pretty lady about what each of you has done in the years you were parted. It must be lovely to have her back, a little miracle indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm having a bad day, Margaret. I think I've just been anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh those finds are so special - I love that your lady was found and in great condition, albeit needed a clean. She is beautiful Margaret
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.