RECIPES

Thursday 1 February 2024

Chocolate Mint

 

I no longer have a herb garden as such.  Those days are past me now.  What I do have, though, are a few herbs dotted around the garden. 

Most of them are in pots as a lot of herbs seem to like sharing their space with other plants, or swamping them altogether!

I did a wander around the other day to see how many I actually have available, and was surprised to find there are 14 of them: borage, calendula, chives, comfrey, garlic chives, lavender, mint (garden), nasturtium, parsley, rosemary, sage, salad burnet, thyme and a little patch of violets (yes, violets are classed as herbs too).




I went to the garden centre the other day and saw this Chocolate Mint for sale.  The smell was enough to make my mouth water, and I thought what a delicious tea could be made with its leaves.

I have since found a tea recipe online, but will need to wait for this little baby to grow a bit bigger before I start raiding it for leaves.  I hope it grows fast!

Have you ever tried using this herb for anything?

Cheers,

Margaret 😊

 

HEADER PHOTO FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Between Tauranga and Whakatane, in the beautiful Bay of Plenty, there is a small coastal camping ground area known as Pikowai Reserve.  Back in 2008, we stopped there for a while and I took this photo down on the beach beside the Pacific Ocean.




 

9 comments:

  1. You have an impressive number of herbs!! I hope my Chocolate Mint makes it through our winter. I think I grew 4 different kinds of mint last year. I used it mainly to give my pitcher of water in the fridge flavour. I've never cared for water plain but since I started using mint I'm much more apt to enjoy a nice cold glass ( in summer, that is!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I grew all sorts of herbs to sell the chocolate mint was a favourite, but I found when I grew them together they all reverted to ordinary spearmint after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The header is beautiful. I wonder if the garden centres here carry the chocolate mint? Hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been interested in chocolate mint, but have never found any or been lucky enough to sniff it! I have also heard orange mint is nice. I would like to grow all the mints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The small of chocolate mint is great, I always keep some close to our seating area, never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reads like a herb garden to me - just because you spread it out doesn't make it not a herb garden. (Lots of good flavours there)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with chocolate mint, but I'll bet it would make a good tea. I love your header photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to Pikowai a few times when we lived in Mount Maunganui, it's a very wild and windswept beach in Winter, think I still have the photos. I haven't tried the chocolate mint but you've convinced me to buy some, I do love my herbs, at the moment I've got them dotted around the vege garden for a sort of companion planting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)