RECIPES

Thursday 4 August 2022

Heart Tonic

 

After all these weeks (it feels like months) I am beginning to feel more “normal” again.  It appears I may have been fighting some kind of virus (not covid), as it certainly knocked me back.

There still appears to be some irregularity with my heart (a different issue) and I have completed my hospital tests and am now waiting for the cardiologist to make his report.


Progress on the new bridge crossing the Waikato River near us


I drove myself yesterday, for the first time in ages, and went to the herbal shop and liquor store.  The two places sound a bit incongruous when placed together, but I did have an ulterior motive.

Hawthorn berries are a well-known heart tonic, so I thought I would make up a syrup that I could take.  The recipe I have is completed in stages, one using alcohol to create a tincture-like tonic, and the next to create the actual syrup.  (I will post the full recipe if and when it turns out successfully)




Having bought 150g of dried berries at the herbal shop, I went to the liquor store and purchased some “43% alcohol” brandy.  Two cups were added to the berries and they are now soaking together for four weeks, with instructions to shake the jar each day.

Who knew brandy was so good for your health?  Taken in moderation, it almost appears to be an Elixir of Life!  (Have a look on Google and see for yourself).

Have a happy day 😊

Margaret.

 

HEADER FOR AUGUST 2022

This was the road we travelled on the way out to Cape Palliser Lighthouse and the most southerly point of the North Island, a place I visited in October 2020 while doing a road trip around the Wairarapa.




15 comments:

  1. Pleased you are starting to feel better. Hope the results of the tests are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so curious how your hawthorn berry conconction turns out. I bought a big bottle of vodka and made first rhubarb then strawberry and finally raspberry cordial. I'm pleased with the results. At first it was very strong but it has mellowed after a few weeks., I didn't make it for health reasons just for the challenge of making ( and enjoying) it.
    It's good to know you're feeling better these days. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear you are on the mend, Margaret. Hope the cardiologist sends you good news. I'll be interested to hear how your 'home brew' turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are finally, albeit slowly, on the mend Margaret. I will be interested to know how your concoction turns out, and how effective it is.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the remedy. Glad to hear you're feeling better and getting out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Striking Header...

    What kind of heart tests, did you have?

    How did they discover the virus?

    Fruit and brandy... Why wouldn't that make anyone feel better?!?!?!? -smile-

    Gentle hugs,
    πŸŒΏπŸƒπŸŒΏπŸƒπŸŒΏ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you hear from the doctor soon with something helpful. Glad you are feeling a bit better anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you're feeling stronger...isn't getting out and driving by yourself sometimes enough to make you feel better? It always does for me...sometimes we just need that "alone" time to clear our heads. Looking forward to your tonic results! Take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your tonic helps! Best of luck with your Doctors appointments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The header picture is breathtaking! Glad you are feeling better and I hope the tests results are all good. I know nothing about brandy. Will look it up. I would be interested in the recipe for the brandy and berries. Sounds healthy and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I read this I had visions of the old Western shows when the traveling medicine man would come to town and be selling his elixir that made all the ladies happy because of his alcohol content and of course it cured everything. Now after laughing about that, the truth is there are a lot of antitoxins in berries and you just might be on to something good and I'm sure it would help more than some pill the doctor would push. Anyway that's my opinion. More power to you and hope you get to feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are better! And wonderful pics, too. It looks quite rusty for being new, though?
    Brandy for health, interesting! A good "excuse" - just kidding, as I know you take a lot with humor.
    My heart races often for 15 minutes plus - would it help against that also?

    They always say, and I do believe it, a bit of wine or beer is good.
    To a happy day! πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're feeling better...
    the tonic taken in moderation will be helpful... looking forward to your recipe.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your header, what a wonderful sight. I do love geology and can appreciate the amazing way that our world was created when I see a photo like that. Wonderful, thank you for sharing.

    I am so very sorry to hear that you have been so ill, I have not been blog reading for nearly a month and am just catching up. I do hope that you continue to feel better and am glad to hear that you have been out for a drive as I know how much you like to do that. I am intrigued by your hawthorn tincture-tonic, I will be interested to read how you get on making and using it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think a lot of things are good for us taken in moderation!. I am going to try to keep reading back till I know what is going on with your health. It sounds like a not so fun time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx