RECIPES

Sunday 31 December 2023

New Year Resolutions

 

Making New Year resolutions has never been a big thing in my book – perhaps I instinctively knew that it was extremely unlikely I would keep any of them!

But the start of a new year, like the turning of a page, does seem to be a good time for starting off on new ventures and making new plans.


A sunny day at Raglan 

Perhaps I might have more success with making resolutions if I followed the advice of Bishop John H. Vincent and reminded myself of them every day.  He was a Methodist minister who died in America in 1920, and in 1909 the Chautauqua Press published this prayer by him in one of their calendars:

“A Resolve for Every Morning of the New Year

I will this day try to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity and self-seeking, cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence, exercising economy in expenditure, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust and a child-like trust in God.”

I wonder how well he succeeded?


The dawn of a new day


Mittens and I wish you all a safe and happy New Year’s Eve, and a great year in 2024 😊

Margaret.

  

HEADER PHOTO FOR JANUARY 2024

I took this photo in 2008 while on holiday at Papamoa beach in the Bay of Plenty.  It shows the walkway we followed through the sand dunes to reach the white sandy beach and the blue ocean beyond.

 

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I would succeed in Bishop John's resolution, but repeating my own every day would probably increase my chances of success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Margaret! I don't make resolutions either, at least not new ones. I just recycle the ones from previous years ( that I'm still working on) *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a happy, healthy 2024 Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful beach shot. I was trying to figure out where it was... I think that beautiful resolve is amazing. How wonderful if could all turn out like that. Hope your 2024 is a good and happy year for you. Love, Ratna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Margaret and Mittens,from Valand Poppy in Suffolk UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Margaret! Only one hour to go for you in NZ . The Bishops resolve is a great way to live each day. Not easy though.
    Wishing you a healthy and happy 2024

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New year to you and your family, I hope 2024 brings you health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you and Mittens. I like the Bishop's resolve, and as I'm not into New Year resolutions (i make resolutions whenever one is called for) he is a very formal man after my own heart - one day at a time approach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new Year to you also, Margaret. I have been away from the computer for some time with moving, unpacking and also getting away for a few days break. The prayer certainly was a difficult goal to strive for!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)