RECIPES

Tuesday 1 August 2023

Only Mittens Knows

 

Mittens and Millie, our two cats, are both growing older and each winter they feel the cold more and more (a bit like us old fogies!).

Millie has discovered the joys of sprawling in front of the fire to get warm, but Mittens is still afraid of it – she doesn’t like the movement of the flames or the crackle of the logs.

So I put a fluffy blanket on her favourite chair in my room and she snuggles into it to sleep (at night, when she gets too cold, she appears on my bed and curls up beside me).

Every time I walk into the room I get this “look” from her – am I being a nuisance by disturbing her, is she telling me to go away, or is she just checking out what I am doing?

Only Mittens knows for sure!




Today is the first day of the last month of winter – Yay!  It won’t be too many weeks now before the trees start putting forth new buds and the birds start getting amorous.

Sometimes the year seems to go by so slowly, but other times it is whizzing by much too fast.  Before we know it, it will be the year 2024 – oh, my goodness!

Make the most of each day 😊

Margaret.



HEADER PHOTO FOR AUGUST 2023

About two hours drive from our place is Mount Maunganui.  This photo was taken the last time I climbed to the summit – in 2008!

The Pacific Ocean here is much loved by surfers, who flock to the waves when the surf is “up.”  On the other side of the peninsula are the quiet waters of the harbour, which is also the entrance to a major port.  At the base of the Mount can be seen the popular Beachside Holiday Park, along with the hot salt-water pools.






8 comments:

  1. Wouldn't we all like to know what goes on in our cats' minds. I think most of Miss Kitty's 'thoughts' are of treats :)
    It must be lovely to start thinking of Spring and all its delights. Because Autumn is my favourite season I'm not envious though. I agree that time goes by much to fast for my liking. I do try to savour each day. XX GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have only owned barn cats so they generally rubbed up against our legs when we saw them. We have plenty of friends who have indoors cats, each seem to have a personality of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you header, such a great photo. As for cats, who knows as they as so fickle, what they love one day they hate the next. Still wishing away my summer, which is a joke, we have had rain now for the past 4 weeks and still loads more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Mount. I have a photo taken 55 years ago from almost the same spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever she is thinking, she is supercute. Great new header, literally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way things are going with "summer" here we won't know any difference when we move into autumn.
    Love your new header - always interesting to see things from up high

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful new header, Margaret. I love your winter…without the snow and -20 temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! When I opened your blog and saw the new header picture, it took my breath away. It's unbelievable! Mittens and Millie. I love their names. I've gotten that look too, from our Smokey. I would love to know what cats think, lots of times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx