RECIPES

Tuesday 13 April 2021

Kakahi Falls

 

Tikitere, named Hell’s Gate after a comment made by the Irish playwright, George Bernard Shaw, is an area of violent geothermal activity located close to Rotorua City.

Being privately owned, an entrance fee is charged to visitors – in my view, it is money well spent to experience this amazing place where “myth and legend come to life, where the earth boils, mud heals, and steam disappears into the clouds above.”

One of the quieter gems of Tikitere is Kakahi Falls, the largest natural hot water falls in the Southern Hemisphere.




The waterfall is a constant 40 degrees Celcius (about the temperature of a hot shower), and was a sacred place where local Maori warriors came to bathe to help heal their battle-weary wounded bodies.

It was here they could wash away the lingering spirits of war before they returned to normal life in their village.




This healing tradition continues today, with the spa opportunities offered at the site.  I found the scenery awe-inspiring enough, without covering myself in thick mud!

Have a happy day ๐Ÿ˜Š

Margaret.


19 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds a beautiful place.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The falls are amazing and although I'd love to see them I wouldn't care for the mud treatment either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one we have not visited ... it's on my list now, thank you. Are there only mud baths, or are there also thermal pools? I thought not from your description. (Roll on the Vaccine!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are pools as part of their spa, but no public pools that I know of.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Margaret. I need to check it out before we do our planning for our next holiday.

      Delete
  4. It is one I haven't visited either. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats amazing and beautiful. F lived for a few months in Rotorua's Forest Training Centre when she first left home. It was all new and eye-opening for a 16 yr old kid from rural Southland/Sth Canterbury, but she never visted those falls. They are on the must do list now too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit that place. My son is actually in Iceland to observe the volcano. My children often go there and go to an outdoor spa with hot water
    The bue lagoon.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I would enjoy just being there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I could do without the mud, but I would enjoy a visit very much. When I am out birding mud seems to find me like iron filings to a magnet and it doesn't cost me a cent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful and fascinating place. One day I'll get to New Zealand. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that being a beautiful walk. NZ has so many of these wonderful places, bush and water and local history. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Such a rare a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place!!! Just watching, seems it can heal one's weary soul. -smile-

    Ohhhh, interesting,all the other aspects of this area!!!!! Ohhhhh....

    ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒท

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is paradise!!! Every inch in New Zealand is!!! Stay safe dearest Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks amazing and would like to visit there too. No thanks to the mud though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty spot Margaret - I must explore it! Thanks for sharing
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, that place is unbelievably beautiful. I think, like you, I would skip the mud :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx